Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Those "Gays" Are At It Again

Maybe I am just too far removed from my conservative upbringing, but headlines from groups like Focus on the Family never cease to amaze me with their audacity. This morning, their primary article reads, "Civil Unions Not Enough for New Jersey Gays." I am confounded... flabbergasted... upset. Why wouldn't civil unions not be enough? We aren't talking about people from another planet with an entirely different values system... they are human beings, and it make perfect sense that they'd want to get married. Why would it make any less sense for "gays" to want to get married than anyone else? For such a pro-marriage group, I'd think they should applaud anyone who wants to fight for marriage (even if, at the end of the day, Focus wants to deny them that right). It feels like saying "Blacks Want More Than Separate But Equal," as if they should have been satisfied with the bone that whites in power tossed them. I am glad that Focus offends me with stuff like this, at least in the sense that my sensibilities have gotten to that place. So again, Focus wages war on a minority group who is simply fighting for the same legal rights as everyone else. And expectedly, you'll find it cloaked in propaganda like "redefinition of marriage," "the destruction of marriage," and "gays do not understand what marriage is." Causes can exist without a god, but never without a devil. I am so tired of the vilification of gays as a political and fund raising tool and this casting of them as practically animal for simply wanting the same thing that groups like Focus want everyone to want - a monogamous, committed union. Such a move by New Jersey, if it ever happens, is no threat to Focus or their monogamous marriages (but try convincing them of that). As I've written before on this blog, I think they should concern themselves with other plagues on the family - divorce, poverty, poor sex education, health care, etc. I think Focus could care less that the family unit in America is crumbling, or at least, that's what I gather from their lack of attention to those issues that truly affect MOST American families. All I see from them is anti-gay rhetoric, hardlines on abortion, and stem cell stuff. That isn't my idea of a true pro-family agenda. Leave it to Focus to be silent on those issues while trying to turn people away from the very institution they are trying to promote. I am glad that civil unions are not enough for "gays" - it shouldn't be. They deserve the same rights under the law as straight couples. Then leave the churches to decide which unions "God" will honor.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll play devil's advocate on this one, since causes apparently can't exist "without a devil."  ;-)

On the one hand, it's easy to discount Focus on the Family's use of gay marriage as a political football.  On the other hand, I think you'll find that they're against every kind of sexual relationship not authorized in the Bible, including heterosexual sex outside of marriage.  

Do conservatives focus too much on sexual sin while ignoring other sins, including sins of omission?  Perhaps so.  But it's not like there's zero basis for it in scripture.  Think of 1 Corinthians 6:18, "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body."  

Focus routinely sounds off on anything that serves to paint non-Biblical activities (of any kind) in an acceptable light.  Of course from a political, social or pragmatic standpoint, one can take issue with whether demonizing a group for their sexual behavior is desirable or effective.  It's also fair to ask, as you did, whether there are larger priorities that one should be focused on instead.

I agree with you, in the sense that I'd probably support unrestricted legal marriage between any two adults.  Not because I agree with it, but simply to deflate the issue so that everyone can move onto something else. Next.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home